Saturday, March 17, 2007

Kiss Me, I'm Irish


Well, barely. I spent all day on Thursday digging around in my grandma's genealogy records- through piles of birth & death certificates, marriage licenses, christening records, military service records, and cemetery maps. I recommend it. Piecing together your family's genealogy is a living history lesson.

I am amazed at how much my grandma was able to compile and how organized it is to peruse. All of her research was conducted without the benefit of the internet. I can only imagine the amount of time she spent at libraries, visiting cemeteries and churches, and writing letters to request records from various parishes. Most fascinating to me were the documents in French in a scrolly, 19th century font I couldn't read, as well as photographs of Acadian-style houses and old Catholic churches.

My browsing did uncover a random McCarty from Ireland, a Wright, and a Linsicombe among throngs of Landrys, Quebodeauxs, Thibodauxs, Trahans, Duhons, and Broussards from places like Point Coupee, Grand Coteau, St. Martinville, St. Francisville, and Indian Bayou. Over time, the last names changed a little. Some were "Anglo-cized": 'Sauveur' became 'Sarver', first names like 'Luc' became 'Luke'.

Another interesting tidbit I discovered from my grandpa were my Lebanese relatives' surnames, notably Nasrallah. Can anyone name another famous Nasrallah?

I'll give you a hint (think Hezbollah)...





Ever seen this guy? He is a Nasrallah :)

No comments: