Some time ago, I mentioned that I will be spending the summer in Morocco. I didn't say much about it at the time, but I thought I would fill in the blanks now as to how it came about. Once upon a time, in a land far away... just kidding...
Having been fascinated with all things Middle Eastern, Islamic, Arabic, etc. since childhood, I've been dying to live or travel in the region. I looked at all sorts of opportunities to teach or work in health care over there and had my heart set on moving abroad this year for a couple-several years. However, the timing and circumstances never truly worked out with grad school and teaching obligations, different political/social unrest (ie: Lebanon). Then, my dad's cancer diagnosis blew my so-called "plans" to pieces.
Meanwhile, a few of my friends would continue to inquire "Where are you going to go next year? Have you checked into different opportunities? What are you doing with that? Why don't you go somewhere in the summer?" Between their probing and Afshin's Sunday school lessons, it was still in the back of my mind. The timing of it all seemed poor and I had no intention of leaving the area code until if/when my dad "beat" lymphoma.
Well, I was up late one night in November thinking hard and praying about it. I randomly decided to check my email. Lo and behold, I had a message from one of the organizations I had checked into months before, something to the effect of: "We have openings after all for teachers to Morocco this summer. Interested?"
So, like I said, it dropped in my lap. After that, everything fell into place as far as my applications/references and even the timing. My dad got extremely sick over Christmas and was hospitalized for 10 days. I was really distracted, couldn't finish up my application or have my interview. My second chance at an interview was the week we found out my dad didn't have lymphoma anymore. It was awesome timing and a big encouragement.
The reality of this exciting, new experience hadn't really "sunk in" until this week. I've actually had time over Spring Break to reflect on how God has gotten me to this point and pray that He'll continue to remind me of His faithfulness as I make plans, raise funds, take care of business, and leave on the jet plane! (T-12 weeks!) Just like my dad's cancer, it's going to be a true exercise in faith for me.
Deuteronomy 1:30-32
The LORD your God, who is going before you, will fight for you, as he did for you in Egypt, before your very eyes, and in the desert. There you saw how the LORD your God carried you, as a father carries his son, all the way you went until you reached this place." In spite of this, you did not trust in the LORD your God, who went ahead of you on your journey, in fire by night and in a cloud by day, to search out places for you to camp and to show you the way you should go.

No comments:
Post a Comment