All year long, I have endured the wailing and gnashing of teeth of my teacher colleagues in anticipation of TAKS week. I was prepared for the worst. Surprisingly, my first TAKS week experience has been rather pleasant.
Why, you ask?
*The kids are in their seats. The whole day.
*The kids are quiet. Silent, in fact. The whole day.
*Principals on hand to straighten kids out. No referral forms or parent phone calls needed.
*I'm paid to walk around in circles, soak up the peace & quiet, and enjoy an uninterrupted stream of thoughts.
*The sixth graders I monitored still have manners. I got a "please", "thank you", or "yes ma'am" each time I distributed anything (including tests) or permitted restroom breaks. At what point do children morph into monsters? Must be right before 7th grade when they take my class.
As a side note, I was mobbed by a pack of overly dramatic 7th grade girls on my way in to school this morning. "Ohhhhh Ms. K, I LOVE you! I haven't seen you in forever!!!!!!" Absence makes the heart grow fonder? They've become my biggest fans in the two-day TAKS hiatus from class. Perhaps they'll demonstrate their love with flawless classroom behavior tomorrow? Well, let's not get carried away now...
Our List of Summer Hopefuls
7 years ago

1 comment:
OK so I wrote a whole response here 2 days ago and somehow managed to not post it before I turned the computer off. sorry. I do love your school posts. AND the ones that tell how you'll most likely die when you go to Morocco. All of it good fun!
Post a Comment