Friday, July 13, 2007

Random

Today, it happened. I was finally taken for a native 'Moroccan'. Probably because I was out with my least Caucasian-looking roommate and we are both fairly dark. Sarah and I were out at the supermarché this morning buying things for our class picnics. On two different occasions we were spoken to only in Arabic. One lady came up and asked us- presumably- for Acima's hours. Then, in the produce section, a man and I were waiting around and he struck up a conversation with me in Arabic. When I just stood there with a sheepish grin on my face, he looked at me quizzically as if he couldn't believe I didn't speak his language. Nice. He then continued in French, something to the effect of: Vous ne parlez pas l'arabe? (You don't speak Arabic?). No, sorry. But, I'm really working on it. Pretty soon after that, we exhausted my French. On to Spanish, and finally English. In any one conversation, I usually speak pieces of 4 languages. It's fun. I just wish I knew any two of them well :)

No comments: