Friday, October 26, 2007

Know Thyself: Part 1

Well, it seems as if I have never known myself better than I do now. In fact, I am over-informed since ignorance is bliss. Everywhere I go, whether it be job in-services, grad school, mission projects, etc. it seems I am required to take some sort of personality inventory in order to "know myself". I thought all of this was cheezy and lame at first, but admittedly, I have gleaned some valuable nuggets.

Before my trip to Morocco, my team was asked to take the Myers-Briggs (MBTI) test in order to better understand each other in the context of a living situation. According to the aforementioned MBTI, I am an ENFP: Extraverted, Intuitive, Feeling, Perceiving. I was interested to discover that I am not so extroverted anymore- now only minimally an extrovert. I do need my alone time.

I've bolded and italicized the "important parts"...
ENFPs are curious, enthusiastic, idealistic, creative, friendly, energetic and fun-loving people who seek meaning in what they do. Able to do almost anything that interests them. Need to live life in accordance with their inner values. They are unconventional, irrelevant and are seldom impressed by authority and rules. Open-minded and flexible, with a broad range of interests and abilities. They believe nothing is impossible and enjoy dealing with possibilities and ideas. Excited by new ideas, but bored with details. They don't like to focus their attention on any one thing, like schoolwork or chores. (I plead the fifth.) ENFPs usually have many friends and keep most of their friends for life. They are perceptive, insightful and empathetic. ENFPs can usually sense other's hidden motives. They dislike controlling others, and being controlled by others. They are very eloquent and can convince anyone of anything. They also know just what words to use to motivate different people. ENFPs ask many questions. (Oh, really?)

Two websites told me that I (ENFP) will make a "love connection" with either an ISTJ (the "Reliant") or ISTP (the "Realist"), the personalities of my dad and brother, respectively. That is true. I've always been attracted to guys with personalities similar to theirs. Quiet, serious, analytical, people who blend in...nothing at all like me. A reliable realist to temper this crazy idealist! Loud, erratic, extroverted types turn me off. Maybe that's why I prefer to date Mr. Nobody :)


1 comment:

mel said...

I'm an INFJ. Sorry, we can't have a love connection.