Monday, March 31, 2008

School Tales: A Perfect 10

My official position regarding student comments on my appearance is I ignore them. Middle schoolers are obsessed with the physical appearances of everyone. The white kids think I am fat. The African-Americans and Hispanics think I am one of them, for obvious reasons. Some comments are downright hilarious and I'll admit I occasionally eavesdrop.

"You are buttiful, Ms. K" (Translation: I have a big butt, BUT she thinks I'm pretty)


"To the most ghettoiest teacher in da hood. I luv U, luv, bree" (a delightful message on my chalkboard)

And my favorite was from a conversation I overheard in which two male 8th graders were discussing the physical merits of certain teachers:

"Well, Ms. ____________, I mean she's okay, she's like a '7'. But, this one, Ms. K, she's a perfect 10."

Finally, someone who gets it.

1 comment:

mel said...

if it makes you feel better, I had a 5th grader hit on me this week. He should actually be in 7th grade but thanks to his IQ he'll get his driver's license when he's in middle school.