Friday, June 20, 2008

Maghreb #34

(Subtitle: How many French words can I possibly fit in one post?)
My birthday was a few days ago which reminded me of the birthday celebrations for my roommate in Morocco last summer. We had a joint birthday party at school for Sarah and one of our students, Nadir. We brushed up on birthday vocabulary as we addressed party invitations, constructed a papier-maché pinata, designed birthday banners and decorations, and rehearsed American games and songs. Anyway, more about the party for a later time, but one thing I shall not forget is all of the desserts. Just a little insight into Moroccan hospitality, our sweet Meriem baked a huge sheet cake for Sarah's birthday, Nadir's mother ordered an exquisite gâteau du chocolat from a patisserie, and a student furnished another lovely treat from a bakery, all in honor of Sarah. It wasn't even my fête, but I was touched by the generosity of our Moroccan friends!

No comments: