Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Last Minute Musings

Written the day before I left for Egypt, but lost in the mayhem.

What if I like it there? What if I stay? What if I never come back "home" to live? What is home, anyway? What if I wander for the rest of my life? A million questions swirl around in my head. Living abroad is something I've hoped for since childhood. I longed for my parents to send me away to a Swiss boarding school or spend a year as an exchange student. My parents may not have understood what they described as my innate unconventionality and non-traditionalism, but they have always been incredibly supportive. The traditional, suburban lifestyle is one I have eschewed. Will it be the lifestyle I will crave after residence in a third-world country?

2 comments:

Dr Dave said...

Eschew? We always taught you not to eschew with your mouth esopen.

Mrs. Klink said...

you are so odd.