Sunday, January 11, 2009

PEACE


Old City, Jerusalem

Pray for the peace of Jerusalem:
"May those who love you be secure.

May there be peace within your walls
and security within your citadels."

For the sake of my brothers and friends,
I will say, "Peace be within you."


These are tenuous times, people! The fresh wave of violence in Gaza, though certainly not surprising, has really saddened me. It is certainly heavy on the minds and in the mouths of everyone here in this little corner of the world. I have noticed a certain restlessness and seething anger among Egyptians and many expats I've spoken with. I have several Palestinian students and families who are upset. People are livid at what they perceive as the use of excessive military force against Gaza. Others are upset at Egypt for the government's refusal to open the Egypt-Gaza border at Rafah to allow Gazans to escape. A cab driver yesterday conveyed his disgust with the Egyptian government for backing Israel and the U.S., employing rather colorful language to describe the president of Egypt who he thinks is a wuss, basically. His outburst was surprising to me since people here are terrified to speak out against the government. At the end of the day, as I sit on this side of the border, however, I feel a bit more secure knowing Egypt has an alliance with Israel and not Gaza.

No comments: