Friday, April 24, 2009

WHAT TIME IS IT?

Nothing in Egypt happens without much argument, confusion, and complication. Nothing. NOTHING. Case in point: Daylight Savings Time. Nearly two months ago when Texans sprung their clocks forward, I consulted a few trusty internet sources for the date of DST in Egypt. I hadn't heard anything about it and certainly didn't want to fall prey to a sneak attack. The date listed was May 1st.

Fast forward two months. Yesterday, staff members at my place of employment received an email from the director that went something like this:
"You may need to spring your clocks forward tonight. We don't really know. There are rumors that DST will begin tomorrow instead of May 1st. We checked several internet sources and they are tied- half claim April 24th, the other half May 1st. People in Egypt are betting it will be tonight, but no one knows. I would suggest you read a newspaper over the weekend to see if the time changed." (Side note: Ummm, hello. Did it occur to you that nearly 100% of the expat staff can't speak Arabic, much less read an Arabic language newspaper?)

Just when I think this place couldn't possibly be anymore bizarre and disorganized...

3 comments:

Dr Dave said...

I've heard that they do their holidays in Egypt the same way. You might hear the day before that there is going to be a national holiday tomorrow. What a hoot! Keeps everyone guessing.

Jen said...

Oh goodness, what have I gotten myself into...! :)

Mrs. Klink said...

waaahaahahaha...it will be character building! :) unpleasant at times, but in hindsight, i would not have foregone any of the "challenges" i have encountered this year.

yeah that's how our september 30th holiday occurred: we heard the night before :)