Wednesday, January 27, 2010

School Tales: Sex Ed

Question of the day:

WHAT IS A SPERM?

Noureldein (note: his brother's name is "Jihad") timidly volunteered said question of the day to which precocious, somewhat-of-a-loose-cannon Karim graciously volunteered to explain! I was worried. Shockingly, he actually gave a non-silly, technical, scientific definition, during which Noureldein's face reddened. Poor thing.

A very excited Karim then inquires "When do we get to learn about that? THIS YEAR!!!???!!" I tell him grade 7. He thinks for a moment and then asks in earnest: "Is it going to be like on tv where they give you condoms and tell you how to have sex safely??"

Ummmm, no Karim. We're in Egypt. Sorry about that.

Meanwhile, Yara couldn't stop giggling "Hee hee... Karim- he's so brave... hee hee"

So, apparently, we have identified some gaps in prior knowledge: one is clueless as to the birds and the bees, the other is already to safe sex.

1 comment:

Andrea said...

Hahaha! I love it. :)