Wednesday, June 06, 2012

Things Not to Miss about Egypt: Smelly Dilemmas


Every so often (or at least more often than I would like), a necessary walk through the neighborhood results in what I mentally refer to as a smelly dilemma. Generally, a smelly dilemma consists of a burst sewage line rendering the current path impassable, stinking, and with ankle-deep filth.  I would say this one tends to occur on a (rare) trip home from the grocery store following an empty pantry, laden with fresh purchases.

What to do...what to do? Ford the river? Caulk the wagon? Or hire an Indian to help?

Well, rather than choose any of those, I attempt the rather small, teetering stepping stones through the stinking...well, the stinking you know what. And what is bound to happen happens: the groceries, precarious stones, and my horrible balance result in an unfortunate fall. Which results in a horribly, untimely death from dysentery. (At least that's what would happen in Oregon Trail :) Actually, the last time this happened, I swear my foot was incredibly itchy for a week. Nasty.

The ultimate smelly dilemma is always on a morning I am flying out of the house in a frenzy, several minutes late to catch the bus. The street is flooded with the stinking stuff. There seems to be no way through except for a mountain of warm, ripe trash that shows signs of life that is to the side of the flooded, stinking filth.

Kind of a 'choose your own adventure', Cairo style!

No comments: