Monday, February 12, 2007

Day 14 & Update

In a round of chemotherapy treatments, day 14 is usually the "low-point", literally, for the patient: diminished blood count levels, immunity, and mood. Throughout my dad's chemo treatments it was like clockwork: day 14 is almost always when a random infection would set in.

Last Friday at M.D. Anderson, his white blood count was only 0.1, platelets were 11,000 (normal would be 150,000 to 250,000). He got one unit of platelets and two units of packed red blood cells. The white blood cell count will have to be made up by his bone marrow and daily Neupogen injections.

He will have his next round of scans this Friday the 16th and follow-up appointment on the 20th to get his clean bill of health. I think he is anxious to get back to work. I don't know why. I tried to convince him not to go back to work until after my spring break (so we can party!! :) but he'll have none of that.

2 comments:

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.