Tuesday, February 20, 2007

Oddities


So, Jen "tagged" my blog which means I am supposed to spill 6 weird things about me. Now, unearthing my "quirks" was quite a challenge since we all know I am the epitome of normalcy. SIKE!

*Contributed by Dad, Mom, Andrea, and Luke:

1) My (previously mentioned) penchant for non-fiction. As a child, my definition of a "good time" was pouring over the World Book encyclopedias, almanac, and atlas. My favorite volume of the World Books was "C-Ch". I also devoured these biographies of Henry VIII, Amelia Earhardt, and the Romanov royals. It particularly bothered me that no one knew for certain whether Anna Anderson was a pretender or Anastasia Romanov and had survived the Bolshevik Revolution.

2) I have narcolepsy...which means I fall asleep in public places, while driving and during movies.

3) The weird birthday thing. I have a strange memory for birthdays: people I have met and people I have not met. For example, I could probably name the birthdays of most of the U.S. presidents. If I have heard or read your birthdate, chances are I will probably remember it. I can't explain it. This is normally something I conceal because, let's be honest, it comes across either as stalkerish or "Rainman"-esque.

4) My body does not seem to generate heat. I shiver in temperatures less than 85 degrees Fahrenheit. My power bills during the summer average ~$40 because I do not run the air.

5) I am OCD about not wasting milk. Apparently, I flipped out over Christmas break when Andrea was going to dispose of 4 oz. of 2% milk that she had left sitting out. Waste not, want not... so I drank the lukewarm milk myself. Andrea and Luke both, independently, mentioned this scenario so I guess it left an indelible mark on their psyches and officially classifies as one of my oddities.

6) I am picky about spelling and grammar. Eg: split infinitives, dangling participles, subject/verb disagreement. Of particular note: my ears really, really do not enjoy hearing the word "mischievous" pronounced "miss-CHEEV-ee-ous". There is no 3rd 'i'.

Now I am supposed to tag 6 other people. Hmmm...I am running out of people, I think. How about Mitzi, Aunt Kay, Erin, Amy when she gets a blog, and definitely MELISSA

5 comments:

mel said...

Why Melissa?!!

Mrs. Klink said...

because Melissa DEFINITELY has 6 weirdnesses about her

Steph said...

what do you call it when you fall asleep and put your bare feet on people sitting next to you :)??

mel said...

I don't feel that 6 is an adequate number for my oddities. But I tried to narrow it down to 6.

Unknown said...

Hi Emily. Since you tagged me, I will respond with 6 weird things about me. By the way, my blogspot is oursahouse.blogspot.com. I wasn't sure how to do the tagging thing on my site, so you may have to send me an e-mail, or give me yours and your cell phone. I'd love to call and chat :)

1. OCD about how the dishes go into the dish washer. Also OCD about my office when I work outside of the home. The desk must be completely cleaned of papers. Of course, my office at home is not like that, but what can I say!?

2. I drive my husband, Tim crazy because I'm always gasping in the car when he drives and grabbing the door handle and putting on the imaginary pedal. I try not to because I know it irritates him, and he is nice enough to not do that to me, but I have a hard time controlling myself.

3. When I have a hard time going to sleep, I may take 3 or 4 hot baths to try and relax myself and quiet my mind so that I can go to sleep. I'm not OCD about being clean, just about relaxing.

4. I am not particularly good with the subject of English, but I will never forget my College Freshman English teacher's corrections on my papers when I would put "towards" instead of "toward". To this day I correct people (in my head, of course) on TV or in print media when they use "towards".

5. I use a funny, high-pitched baby voice when speaking to animals, whether they are my own, other people's, or wild.

6. I can't stand the smell of Fried Chicken. It makes me physically ill.