I spent Sunday evening preparing savory, scrumptious Redfish Courtbouillon. Oh how I love to prepare this dish. That in itself was to be my reward for finishing grad school assignments.
As the story goes, I had ever so carefully prepared the roux- just the right color, cooked the vegetables, added the liquids and spices, turned the heat down and covered it to simmer for 30 minutes. Weary from the end of daylight savings, at this point, I decide that it would be perfectly fine to lay down "just to rest my eyes" for a few minutes. Three hours later, during a highly intense REM cycle, my dreams begin to involve something burning. It is almost palpable, it seems as if I can even smell something burning. I awake with a start and realize that something was my precious entree. All of the liquid had cooked out hours before, and I was left with a crusty, burned pot to clean out. An hour later of scrubbing, scraping, and washing, I could finally retire for the night.
Allow no sleep to your eyes,
no slumber to your eyelids.
How long will you lie there, you sluggard?
When will you get up from your sleep?
A little sleep, a little slumber,
a little folding of the hands to rest-
and poverty will come on you like a bandit
and scarcity like an armed man.
The rest of the night, I sleep fitfully, sleepless around 2am, yet unable to wake to my alarm hours later. I leave the house 15 minutes later than I like, yet not late enough actually to be late to work...or so I thought. I venture out onto I-10. Just my luck, a horrible wreck. An hour and a quarter later, I arrive at work. Of course, that does include a pitstop. Today happens to be the day I forget my phone AT HOME. Guess who has to stop at a gas station to call work and request a sub for 1st period. And guess who, again, comes to the rescue? None other than my "partner" in crime, Miss Humphrey, of course! Now, I owe YOU a BIG ONE!! :)
The day goes on. I am frazzled and feel disorganized. The kids are disobedient and disrespectful. Third period has some major issues and I throw a major fit. I apologize and ask the class for forgiveness. Seems like the makings of a terrible, horrible, no good, very bad day. And yet, I pondered, doesn't today- even today- deserve a chance to redeem itself?
TO BE CONTINUED :)
Our List of Summer Hopefuls
7 years ago

No comments:
Post a Comment