expatriate
v. tr.
To
send into exile. See Synonyms at banish.
To remove (oneself) from residence
in one's native land.
v. intr.
To give up residence in one's
homeland.
To renounce allegiance to one's homeland.
n. (-ĭt, -āt')
One who has taken up residence in a
foreign country.
One who has renounced one's native
land.
I have italicized the most appropriate definition in my case. And just to clear up any remaining confusion, allow me to explain myself. I am not going into hiding or any sort of banishment. Technically, I am removing myself from residence in the States...at least for the time being. I am no Benedict Arnold! Neither am I a spy, nor am I renouncing allegiance to my homeland, although there are some aspects of the American "dream", albeit economic, I cannot renounce soon enough (U.S. taxes, gasoline, the outrageous cost of fresh foods, and the American pace of life) Simply put, I am taking up residence in a foreign country (Egypt) for two years+. It seems reasonable to assume that I will return in two years, but in all honesty, I do not know when/if I will move back to the States or Texas. (I'm sorry, Mom)

3 comments:
whatever, I banish you.
"I do not know when/if I will move back to the States or Texas."
The States or Texas, one of those countries. I wonder if Texas has an embassy in Egypt?
well, it should.
Post a Comment