For the first time in my life, I am happy. Truly happy in an I-don't-need-anything-else-to-satisfy-me way. Not because I have a glamorous job, the husband and kids I always dreamed I would have, a house of my own, or a burgeoning retirement account. Not because I've finally lost weight or have clear skin or am even 100% healthy. Not because I finished my thesis, have paid off my grad school loans, am dating someone fabulous or even have a single prospect. I don't have any of those things.
It's not because my dad is cancer-free. Or because I have the wisest, most generous parents and the funniest, most thoughtful siblings. It's not because I have incredibly caring friends scattered all over the world. It's not because I have a job that pays the bills and then some, a fabulous residence that is more than just a roof over my head, and a body healthy-enough to take me from point A to point B. Not because I am living an adventure, experiencing things of which others would only dream, and exploring corners of the world to which others will never have the chance. I have all of those things.
It's simply because He is good to me. SO good. It's because I am (slowly) learning to recognize His goodness to me in the past, rely on it in the present, and expect it in the future. Come what come may. I am learning to let God be God. "May it be to me according to Your Word." (Luke 1:38)
Our List of Summer Hopefuls
7 years ago

5 comments:
Wow, Em, this is your best blog posting ever. Especially the part about "the wisest, most generous parents". You forgot a few other adjectives, but that's OK. You can pick them up in your next blog. Love, You know who
Great post Em... love the contrast of things you have and things you don't have. We often try to reason our unhappiness/dissatisfaction out to figuring out those 2 things. But neither will work!!
Yes, and He has been SO good. How about that computer which was available to buy at just the right time!!:) And Skype works on it, so I've been told!
Amen. So encouraged by this.
Emu! I am so excited that you have learned this invaluable lesson. It took many of us years. Paul learned it when he said that he had learned to be content no matter where God had him in life. God is so pleased and will take you many wonderful places (not just geographical) Of course I know you meant to mention your wonderfully talented Aunt as being a blessing - haha!
Post a Comment