I never did clear up this rather cryptic post. Well, summer looms, so let's tie up some loose ends, shall we?!
To make a very long, horrible story short, an irrational parent made some accusations about my character that were completely unfounded. Her child was one of my best students (A average) and had a little crush on me. (I mean, can you blame him?! :) Another girl embarrassed the kid one day in class and the way he "saved face" was to try to ruin my life by spreading outright lies about me around the school, with his parents, and with 60 of my other students parents. In any case, things got really nasty.
The principal, school director, and superintendent were involved as the parents worked very hard to get me fired. My immediate boss (principal) was not all that supportive and even interviewed my students behind my back to find some dirt on me. (Thankfully, I have a wonderful rapport with most of my students who provided overwhelmingly positive reviews of me :) I had to compose a report defending myself and my teaching methods. Things were very tenuous and my job security was in question. I began to look for jobs back home, but knew that unless I got fired God did not want me to actively pursue other options (Plus, I'm not one to take the easy way out :) It was a horrible situation that made me physically ill. Then, out-of-the-blue a few weeks ago, the principal and director decided to "exonerate" me. A letter was dispatched to the parents emphasizing my professionalism, qualifications and accomplishments insinuated that the parents were alone in their allegations of my character.
Unfortunately, the behavior of the parents does reflect some of the cultural values displayed in public life here quite often: irrationality, theatrics, "throwing your weight around to get what you want". A great deal of the families with whom I interact are nouveau riche...new money with no class. Many people have found themselves with quite a bit of wealth through none of their own hard work. Sadly, they often use their "influence" to manipulate and mistreat others. What is even more saddening about Egypt is that this kind of behavior is actually rather effective due to a non-existent middle class and huge disparities between the upper and lower classes. The poor are terrified of the rich so this behavior proliferates in all facets of society. I could drone on about countless ways I witness this shameful behavior every day at my place of employment- a microcosm of Egyptian society, though "American" in name.
Our List of Summer Hopefuls
7 years ago

1 comment:
Glad to hear this! Great post even with as many as seven "unnecessary quote marks"!
We "love" you anyway.
Post a Comment